Bee venom immunotherapy update
Following the previous communication earlier this year from Stallergenes Greer regarding the shortage of ALBEY honey bee venom 550mcg, the US/Canadian approved 550mcg-concentrated Hymenoptera honey bee venom freeze-dried powder has been authorised for supply under S19A (1), of the Therapeutic Goods Act as an alternative for Australian patients.
Therefore Hymenoptera 550mcg honey bee venom product can now be prescribed as an alternative option for ALBEY honey bee Venom 550mcg.
The same PBS code 10621B will apply, which was previously used for Hymenoptera honey bee venom. PBS reimbursement will be effective from 1st July 2017. Any prescription written before 1st July will not be eligible for PBS subsidy.
All prescriptions must state the product name “Hymenoptera honey bee venom”. It is recommended to add the PBS code 10621B to aid product identification.
In order to meet special requirements under the TGA, each vial of Hymenoptera honey bee venom 550mcg supplied to a patient must include a vial of Albumin Saline diluent. The items will be supplied as listed below:
- 1 carton containing Hymenoptera honey bee venom 550mcg with US product information
- 1 clear resealable plastic bag containing 1 x 9 mL vial Albumin Saline diluent (AUST R 32486) attached to 1 copy of ALBEY product information
- 2 important letters of communication for your attention
For information on the transition between the 2 brands, or to report adverse events please contact the Stallergenes Greer Medical department on 1800 824 166.
Information about ordering (for pharmacists and doctors who wish to order directly)
- Alternatively, pharmacies can purchase Hymenoptera 550mcg honey bee venom product using a credit card and an order form, if they do not have an account with EBOS.
- A product supply instruction letter and a TGA-approved ‘Dear Doctor’ letter will be provided with orders to accompany each unit of the Hymenoptera product. Please read the supply instruction letter carefully before dispensing the product.
Please note that New Zealand has not been affected by the shortage of ALBEY honey bee venom and therefore the above information does not apply to New Zealand.
Suppliers of allergen immunotherapy products
Stallergenes, Greer, Hollister Stier and Albey products
PO Box 281 Mona Vale NSW 1660 Australia
Phone: 1800 824 166 (AU)
2 McCabe Place Chatswood NSW 2067 Australia
Phone: 02 9882 3666 (AU)
Western Allergy Australia Pty Ltd
Suite 46, Level 5, 46 Cavill Ave, Surfers Paradise, QLD 4217 Australia
Phone: 1300 881 405
Content updated July 2017