ASCIA Submissions and Reports
ASCIA Submissions 2020-2022 | ASCIA Submissions 2019 | ASCIA Annual Highlights, Annual Reports, AGM Minutes, Financial Reports | ASCIA Scope of Practice documents | National Allergy Strategy | ASCIA/NPS Choosing Wisely Australia and RACP Evolve recommendations | Allergy in Australia 2014 | Allergy and Immune Diseases in Australia (AIDA) Report 2013 | ASCIA Education Resources Report 2013 | Economic Impact of Allergies Report 2007
ASCIA continues to advocate on behalf of ASCIA members to government and other organisations by lodging submissions which are listed below.
ASCIA Submissions 2022
- ASCIA letter to Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC) in support for the Human Genetics Society of Australasia (HGSA) application for services provided by genetic counsellors, submitted on 7 October 2022.
ASCIA supports HGSA MSAC application 20221007
- ASCIA letter to PBAC supporting the PBS listing of PBS Nucala® (mepolizumab) for treatment of nasal polyps in chronic rhinosinusitis, submitted on 20 September 2022.
ASCIA letter PBAC Nucala 2022092069.78 KB
- ASCIA feedback to RACP on the draft Australian Government’s National Medicine Policy (NMP), submitted on 19 September 2022.
ASCIA feedback AU Govt National Medicine Policy 20220919154.14 KB
- ASCIA statement on the high clinical need to maintain supply of venom immunotherapy (VIT) on the PBS, submitted on 15 September 2022.
ASCIA letter PBAC VIT 20220915120.76 KB
- Joint letter to the federal Health Minister, the Hon Mark Butler MP, regarding pricing of medical nutrition products for cow’s milk allergy has been sent on behalf of ASCIA, Allergy & Anaphylaxis Australia and the National Allergy Strategy, submitted on 28 July 2022.
- Letters from ASCIA supporting research project appications to the Medical Research Future Fund (MRFF) have been submitted on 16 February, 3 March, 16 May, 24 June and 1 July 2022.
- ASCIA letter to the Australian Government Department of Health, to provide information to address the Medical Treatment Overseas Program (MTOP) eligibility criteria about a SCID-ADA patient, in response to a request sent to ASCIA on 8 July 2022. Lodged 20 July 2022.
- ASCIA letter to the Coroners Court of Victoria in response to the Coroner’s recommendations regarding the death of Peta Hickey. Lodged 13 April 2022.
ASCIA letter Coroners Court Victoria 2022-04-13
- ASCIA submitted responses to a survey on the Consultation Draft - National Medicines Policy. Lodged 2 March 2022.
- ASCIA contributed to the RACP’s Pre-Budget Submission 2022-2023 titled Delivering a Future-Focused Health System for Equitable Care and Healthier Communities Lodged January 2022.
- Letter from ASCIA in support of the application to the PBAC for PBS listing of Dupixent® (dupilumab) for treatment of severe atopic dermatitis (eczema) in children aged 6-11 years. Lodged 13 January 2022.
ASCIA letter PBAC Dupilumab 2022 01 1352.73 KB
- ASCIA letter to the Australian Government Department of Health, to provide information to address the Medical Treatment Overseas Program (MTOP) eligibility criteria about a patient with DiGeorge Syndrome and Severe Combined Immune Deficiency (SCID), in response to a request sent to ASCIA on 4 January 2022. Lodged 12 January 2022.
ASCIA Submissions 2021
ASCIA response to FSANZ Proposal P1028 – Infant Formula Consultation Paper 3 - Regulatory framework and definitions. Lodged 20 October 2021.
ASCIA FSANZ Infant formula response 20 October 2021950.61 KB
ASCIA responded to a request for information from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) on 24 September 2021. On 8 October 2021 ATAGI released a statement, prepared in consultation with ASCIA, on the use of a third primary ‘booster’ dose of COVID-19 vaccine in severely immunocompromised people, including people with primary immunodeficiencies.
- ASCIA letter to PBAC in support of the Jorveza® (Budesonide 0.5 and 1mg) application for treatment of eosinophilic oesophagitis (EoE). Lodged 22 September 2021.
ASCIA letter PBAC EoE Budesonide 2021-09-2253.15 KB
ASCIA response to National Blood Authority (NBA) call for public comments on the draft Acute Transfusion Reaction Guidelines. Lodged online 2 July 2021.
- ASCIA letter to the Coroners Court of Victoria, in response to the Coroner’s Findings into the death of Catherin D’Rozario on 25 August 2019. Lodged 22 June 2021.
ASCIA letter to the Coroners Court of Victoria 2021-06-22156.36 KB
- ASCIA submission to PBAC regarding adrenaline (epinephrine) autoinjector prescriptions. Lodged 7 April 2021.
ASCIA letter PBAC re Adrenaline 2021-04-07111.28 KB
- ASCIA submission to TGA regarding Anapen adrenaline autoinjectors. Lodged 23 February 2021.
ASCIA letter TGA Anapen 2021-02-2362.19 KB
- ASCIA submission to PBAC regarding the Jorveza® (Budesonide 1mg) application for adults with eosinophilic oesophagitis (EoE). Lodged 10 February 2021.
ASCIA Submissions 2020
- ASCIA submission to the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care on the draft Acute Anaphylaxis Clinical Care Standard. Lodged 13 December 2020.
ASCIA Feedback Anaphylaxis Clinical Std 2020-12-13137.58 KB
- ASCIA submission to the House of Representatives Standing Committee for Health, Aged Care and Sport Parliamentary Inquiry into new drugs and novel medical technologies. Lodged 3 November 2020
ASCIA_Submission_Parliamentary_Inquiry_2020.pdf173.17 KB Note: This is also listed as Submission 147 on https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/House/Health_Aged_Care_and_Sport/Newdrugs/Submissions
- ASCIA Immunodeficiency Strategy for Australia and New Zealand. Completed November 2020 and lodged as an attached to the ASCIA submission to the Parliamentary Inquiry 3 November 2020.
- ASCIA response to Medical Research Future Fund consultation to inform the third Australian Medical Research and Innovation Priorities 2020-2022. Lodged 7 October 2020.
ASCIA MRFF consultation response 2020-10-0712.09 KB
ASCIA response to dupilumab (Dupixent®) application for severe uncontrolled asthma (included in the November 2020 PBAC meeting agenda). Lodged 21 September 2020.
ASCIA letter PBAC re Dupilumab 2020-09-2147.86 KB
- ASCIA response to Anapen adrenaline (epinephrine) autoinjector application (included in the November 2020 PBAC meeting agenda). Lodged 17 September 2020.
ASCIA letter PBAC re Anapen 2020-09-1764.48 KB
ASCIA submissions to Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC) Immunoglobulin Review Consultations 1591 and 1592. Lodged 10 September 2020.MSAC – 1591 – Secondary hypogammaglobulinaemia unrelated to haematological malignancies, or post-haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT)200.69 KB
- ASCIA response to FSANZ Call for Submissions on Application A1175 – Rapeseed Protein Isolate as a Novel Food. Lodged 4 September 2020. ASCIA letter FSANZ 2020-09-0493.87 KB
ASCIA pre-budget submission. Lodged 24 August. This is an amended version of the submission lodged in January 2020. ASCIA Pre-Budget Submission 2020-2021 2020-08-24 400.83 KB
- ASCIA letter to the Minister for Health (Hon Greg Hunt MP) regarding ASCIA feedback on recommendations in the Allergies and Anaphylaxis Inquiry Report. Submitted 14 July 2020.
ASCIA Letter re Feedback on Recommendations in the Allergies and Anaphylaxis Inquiry Report155.79 KB
Feedback on Recommendations in the Report from the Allergies and Anaphylaxis Parliamentary Inquiry230.05 KB
- Joint letter from ASCIA, National Allergy Strategy, A&AA and CFAR to the Minister for Health (Hon Greg Hunt MP), in response to Recommendation 1 in the Report on the Parliamentay Inquiry into Allergies and Anaphylaxis. Submitted 30 June 2020. Joint letter to Minister Hunt 30-06-20100.27 KB
- ASCIA letter to the Minister for Health (Hon Greg Hunt MP) in response to the Report on the Parliamentay Inquiry into Allergies and Anaphylaxis Walking the allergy tightrope - Addressing the rise of allergies and anaphylaxis in Australia tabled on 15 June 2020 in the Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia. Submitted 19 June 2020.
ASCIA Letter Hon Greg Hunt 2020-06-19162.99 KB
- ASCIA letter to the Drug Utilisation Sub Committee (DUSC) of the PBAC regarding a confidential report on the use of omalizumab for the treatment of chronic spontaneous urticaria (CSU). Submitted 27 May 2020. ASCIA letter DUSC PBAC re Omalizumab 20200527137.47 KB
ASCIA letter to the Minister for Health (Hon Greg Hunt MP) and Chief Medical Officer (Professor Brendan Murphy), regarding the potential of immune blockers in treatment of COVID-19. Submitted 5 May 2020. A response was received on 10 June 2020. As of August 2021 there are now shortages in Australia of Tociluzumab, an immune blocker which is being used internationally to treat COVID-19.
ASCIA letter AU Govt re COVID19 Treatments 20200505 146.09 KB
ASCIA letter to PBAC regarding concerns about revised PBS listings for antibiotics and patients with immunodeficiencies. Submitted 27 April 2020. ASCIA letter PBAC Immunodeficiencies Antibiotics 2020-04-2786.61 KB Changes were made on 1 May 2020 to allow patients who require prolonged oral antibiotic therapy to access an increased maximum quantity and/or repeat(s), as described in Revised PBS listings for Antibiotic use
ASCIA letter to PBAC regarding access to adrenaline (epinephrine) auto-injectors on the PBS. Submitted 24 April 2020. ASCIA letter PBAC Anaphylaxis Adrenaline 20200424131.90 KB
Joint letter from A&AA, ASCIA, National Allergy Strategy and CFAR to the Ministerial Forum on Food Regulation and FSANZ P1053. Submitted 30 April 2020. Ministerial Forum P1053 Final 300420753.65 KB FSANZ has responded that they will continue to consider allergen management within the scope of the chapter 3 review as the project progresses.
ASCIA letter to the Minister for Health (Hon Greg Hunt MP), regarding telehealth changes. Submitted 7 April 2020.
ASCIA Letter Hon Greg Hunt 20200407137.54 KB Changes to telehealth have since been made, effective 20 April 2020. www.allergy.org.au/members/covid-19#cd4
ASCIA letter to PBAC regarding dupilumab submission for atopic dermatitis. Submitted 2 March 2020.
ASCIA letter PBAC Dupilumab 2020030275.35 KB Dupilumab has been recommended by the PBAC for PBS listing. For details refer to the announcement here.
ASCIA submission to FSANZ Plain English Labelling (PEAL) proposal P1044. Submitted 27 February 2020.
ASCIA FSANZ P1044 Submission 2020 02 27160.82 KB
ASCIA pre-budget 2020-2021 submission. Submitted 10 January 2020.
ASCIA Pre-Budget Submission 2020-2021808.7 KB
ASCIA opening statement to the public hearing in Sydney on 19 November 2019 for the Parliamentary Inquiry into Allergies and Anaphylaxis. ASCIA opening statement parliamentary inquiry 19-11-19
ASCIA submission to the Parliamentary Inquiry into Allergies and Anaphylaxis. Submitted 24 October 2019.
ASCIA Submission Parliamentary Inquiry 24-10-19 or on the government website at Submission 153. The Inquiry report was tabled on 15 June 2020 in the Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia. Walking the allergy tightrope1.15 MB
ASCIA response to National Blood Authority (NBA) request for information regarding Berinert. Submitted 4 September 2019.
ASCIA letter NBA Berinert 20190904359.77 KB
Feedback to Australian National Breastfeeding Strategy. Submitted 5 August 2019, further to submissions on 30 November 2018 and 18 June 2018. ASCIA response Australian National Breast Feeding Strategy 20190805203.32 KB This request was successful.
ASCIA application to the Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC) for a food allergen challenge Medical Benefits Schedule (MBS) item number. Submitted 18 July 2019. This submission was unsuccessful.
ASCIA Application Food Allergen Challenge MBS 18-07-19457.91 KB
ASCIA submission to Consultation on the Draft National Clinical Quality Registry Strategy. Submitted 20 June 2019.
ASCIA submission to the Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) Review of Food Standards Code chapter 3 and 4 – Food Safety Management Requirements (Australia only). Submitted 14 June 2019.
ASCIA submission FSANZ 14-06-201989.03 KB
ASCIA response to Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee (PBAC) request for information regarding Dupilumab. Submitted 30 May 2019. ASCIA letter PBAC Dupilumab 20190530172.30 KB This submission was unsuccessful, but Dupilumab has since been recommended by the PBAC for PBS listing. For details refer to the announcement here.
ASCIA letter to National Blood Authority (NBA) regarding BloodSTAR issues. Submitted 27 May 2019. ASCIA letter NBA BloodSTAR 20190527 152.92 KB The NBA has responded and will follow up on the issues raised in the ASCIA letter.
ASCIA response to new Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) Review Specialist and Consultant Physician Consultation Clinical Committee of the MBS Review Taskforce. Submitted 25 March 2019.
ASCIA letter to the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) President requesting Therapeutic Goods Authority (TGA) Authorised Prescriber (AP) endorsements. Submitted 28 February 2019. ASCIA letter RACP President 2019022876.31 KB This request was unsuccessful, however the TGA has since changed the AP process.
- ASCIA letter to the TGA regarding BICOM. Submitted 17 January 2019. ASCIA letter TGA BICOM 2019-01-1749.04 KB
Summaries of annual highlights www.allergy.org.au/about-ascia/highlights
ASCIA Annual General Meeting (AGM) Minutes www.allergy.org.au/members/ascia-agm
ASCIA Annual Reports www.allergy.org.au/members/ascia-annual-reports
ASCIA Financial Reports are available on the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) website https://www.acnc.gov.au/charity/e79f36de081f49213f96361b173c5d91 (ASCIA is a Company limited by guarantee (ACN 608 798 241; ABN 45 615 521 452) and is registered with the ACNC.
Scope of Practice - Allergy Skin Testing in Australia 2018
ASCIA developed this Scope of Practice in response to the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) item number changes implemented by the MBS Review Taskforce, effective 1 November 2018. Whilst these changes were not initiated by ASCIA, the previously proposed item numbers were significantly modified in response to a submission made by ASCIA in July 2017, to ensure patients with complex allergic disease are not disadvantaged.
Scope of Practice - Specialist Physicians in Immunology and Allergy in Australia 2014
The aim of this Scope of Practice is to outline the range of practice of clinical immunology/allergy specialists in Australia and ensure that patients with allergic and other immune diseases receive the highest standard of care, in line with best clinical practice.
In 2021 ASCIA continues to contribute to, and promote the following National Allergy Strategy projects:
- Nip Allergies in the Bub for food allergy prevention
- 250K for teenagers and young adults with severe allergies
- Food allergy education
- My Health Record allergy project
ASCIA was the first Specialty Society affiliated with the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) to be involved in Choosing Wisely Australia, a health profession led initiative faciliated by National Prescribing Service (PBS) MedicineWise and the RACP Evolve program. The ASCIA list of five things that clinicians and consumers should question is available at:
For further information about Choosing Wisely Australia go to www.choosingwisely.org.au
For further information about the RACP Evolve program go to https://evolve.edu.au/about
Prior to ASCIA developing a National Allergy Strategy for Australia, the following report was developed in 2014.
The AIDA report on allergy and other immune diseases (immunodeficiency and autoimmune diseases) was developed in 2013.
ASCIA has been developing web based education resources since 1999. In 2013, the ASCIA Education Resouces Report was developed to outline the large range of web based educational resources that are all available at no charge on the ASCIA website.
The cost of allergies to the Australian economy is estimated to be $7.8 billion, with lost productivity and health system expenditure the major contributing factors. Furthermore, most Australians with allergies face a wait many months to see a specialist, if they can access care at all. These are among key findings in the following report 'Economic Impact of Allergies' by Access Economics that was released by ASCIA in November 2007.
Content updated November 2022