ASCIA 2019 Conference Report
ASCIA 2019 Program Book6.42 MBThe 30th ASCIA Annual Conference was a great success, with more than 600 registrations and an acclaimed program. Congratulations and thank you to Prof Michaela Lucas and the organising committee (Dr Chris Bundell, Rachael Dunn, A/Prof Mina John, A/Prof Richard Loh, Prof Dominic Mallon, Dr Tracy Markus, Dr Patricia Martinez, Dr Andrew McLean-Tooke, Valerie Noble, Dr Richard Nolan, Ingrid Roche, Sandra Vale).
Highlights of the ASCIA 2019 Conference included:
- The opening address by the Minister for Health, the Hon Greg Hunt MP, which included an announcement that a parliamentary inquiry into allergic diseases will be undertaken by the Standing Committee on Health. This will provide the opportunity for a thorough investigation into the many issues regarding the management of allergic diseases in Australia. For details go to Allergies and anaphylaxis under the microscope
- A highly acclaimed program that included talks by more than 60 presenters, including ten international speakers (Prof Mark Boguniewicz, Prof Mariana Castells, Prof Timothy Craig, Prof Evan Dellon, Prof Philippe Eigenmann, Dr Tomaz Garcez, A/Prof Matthew Greenhawt, Prof Peter Hellings, Prof Hugh Sampson, A/Prof Carina Venter.)
- An excellent Antibiotic and Allergy expert panel discussion chaired by Dr Norman Swan, supported by the University of Western Australia. www.allergy.org.au/hp/podcasts/antibiotics-and-allergy
More than 120 abstracts submitted for posters, clinical grand rounds and clinical research presentations.Congratulations to the poster and clinical grand rounds award winners, who are listed at
- Presentations of five AIFA research grants (a total of $120,000) at the closing function.
- A record number of sponsors and exhibitors, which continue to contribute to ASCIA Annual Conferences.
- Participation of eight past ASCIA Presidents (Prof Connie Katelaris AM, A/Prof Robert Heddle, Prof Dominic Mallon, Dr Ray Mullins, Prof Jo Douglass, Dr Melanie Wong, A/Prof Richard Loh, Dr William Smith), as well as the current ASCIA President and President Elect (Dr Brynn Wainstein, Prof Michaela Lucas).
- The 14th annual Basten Oration presented by A/Prof Richard Loh www.allergy.org.au/conferences/ascia-annual-conference/annual-ascia-basten-oration
- An engaging Welcome to Country from Marie Taylor.
- An outstanding ASCIA 2019 Gala Dinner in the stunning Postal Hall at the historic State Buildings in Perth.
The ASCIA 2019 Conference was held in conjunction with the highly successful sixth annual CFAR Symposium, the eighth Australian and New Zealand Anaesthetic Allergy Group (ANZAAG) Symposium and the third ASCIA-DAA CAL (Centre for Advanced Learning) Food Allergy and Intolerance Course for Dietitians.
We look forward to your participation in next year's ASCIA Annual Conference in September 2020 in Melbourne. For preliminary information go to www.ascia2020.com
ASCIA acknowledges artist Valerie Sparks for use of her artwork ‘Emergent’ 2015 for the ASCIA 2019 Conference.
Content updated March 2021