ASCIA 2017 Conference Report
ASCIA 2017 Program Book6.01 MB
28th ASCIA Annual Conference, Viaduct Events Centre Auckland, 13-15 September 2017
The ASCIA 2017 Conference was a great success, with more than 680 registrations, an outstanding program, an interactive conference app and a spectacular venue located on the stunning Waitematā Harbour in Auckland.
The positive feedback received from delegates has indicated that it was a highlight of the year for ASCIA members and other health professionals with an interest in allergy and clinical immunology.
Thank you to the ASCIA 2017 conference:
- Organising committee co-chairs - Dr Maia Brewerton and Dr Anthony Jordan
- Organising committee members - Dr Andy Baker, Dr Jan Sinclair and Dr Pete Storey
- Nurse and Dietitian update coordinators - Pauline Brown, Anna Richards and Simone Stephens
- CFAR symposium chair - Professor Katie Allen and the CFAR team
- Dietitian workshop coordinators - Anna Richards and Ingrid Roche
- Basten Orator - Dr Penny Fitzharris www.allergy.org.au/conferences/ascia-annual-conference/annual-ascia-basten-oration
- Invited speakers and chairs (~80) from New Zealand or Australia
- Case and/or poster presenters - more than 20 of these were presented by advanced trainees in Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- All speakers, chairs and delegates who utilised the features of the conference app, which allowed for interactive sessions and greatly enhanced the effectiveness of question times
- Sponsors and exhibitors, who continue to support the ASCIA annual conference and other educational initiatives
- Staff, who all worked tirelessly to ensure that the conference was such a success
Thank you also to the following 8 international speakers who presented at the conference:
- Professor Carsten Bindslev-Jensen (ASCIA keynote speaker)
- Professor Lene Heise Garvey (ASCIA-ANZAAG Drug Allergy Symposium keynote speaker)
- Professor Jonathan Hourihane (CFAR Symposium and ASCIA keynote speaker)
- Professor Nikos Papadopoulos (CFAR Symposium and ASCIA keynote speaker)
- Professor Werner Pichler (ASCIA-ANZAAG Drug Allergy Symposium keynote speaker)
- Professor Jennifer Puck (ASCIA keynote speaker)
- Professor Hugh Sampson (CFAR Symposium and ASCIA keynote speaker)
- Professor Scott Sicherer(CFAR Symposium and ASCIA keynote speaker)
Congratulations to the clinical grand round, primary immunodeficiency case and poster award winners who are listed on the ASCIA website www.allergy.org.au/health-professionals/awards-grants/ascia-award-grant-scholarship-recipients
A total of 92 posters were displayed and these are available to view on the conference app. You can access the app, even if you didn't attend the conference. For instructions go to http://ascia2017.com.au/ascia-2017-app/ All abstracts have been published in the online Internal Medicine Journal and these are archived on the ASCIA website www.allergy.org.au/conferences/ascia-annual-conference/published-abstracts-ascia
The social functions were also a highlight of the conference, including a karanga (Maori welcome call) performed by a kapahaka group at the Welcome Function, and a spectacular Gala Dinner at St Matthew-in-the-City. Photographs from these events will soon be available on the ASCIA website.
The ASCIA 2017 conference was held in conjunction with:
- ASCIA-ANZAAG 2017 Drug Allergy Symposium hosted by ASCIA and the Australia New Zealand Anaesthetic Allergy Group (ANZAAG) on Friday 15 September (half day - afternoon) and Saturday 16 September.
- ASCIA 2017 Nurse and Dietitian Updates on Friday 15 September.
- Centre for Food and Allergy Research (CFAR) Symposium 2017 on Tuesday 12 September.
- Food Allergy Workshop for dietitians on Saturday 16 September.
- Allergy New Zealand's Primary Care Allergy Update on Saturday 16 September.
The ASCIA Annual General Meeting (AGM) 2017 was held during the ASCIA 2017 Conference on Thursday 14 September. In case you missed it, the AGM Minutes are available on the ASCIA website: www.allergy.org.au/members/ascia-agm
We look forward to your partcipation in the ASCIA 2018 Conference in Canberra next September. For more information visit www.ascia2018.com
Content updated March 2021