ASCIA 2011 Conference Report
ASCIA 2011 Program Book 1.11 MB
22nd ASCIA Annual Scientific Meeting, Sydney Convention Centre, 6-10 September 2011
Congratulations and thank you to the ASCIA 2011 Chair, Prof Connie Katelaris and members of the ASCIA 2011 organising committee, Prof Brad Frankum, Dr Preeti Joshi, Dr Karuna Keat, Dr Frederick Lee, Dr Brynn Wainstein and Pamela Burton.
Thank you also to all speakers and chairs, delegates, sponsors and exhibitors for their support of ASCIA 2011.
In particular we would like to thank our international speakers, Prof Abul Abbas (USA), Prof Pascal Demoly (France), Dr George Du Toit (UK), Prof Gunnar Johansson (Sweden), Dr Montserrat Fernandez-Rivas (Spain), Dr Steven Holland (USA), Dr Marc Riedl (USA) and Prof Yehuda Shoenfeld (Israel).
The ASCIA 2011 scientific program included a record number of:
- 9 international speakers as well as more than 40 Australasian speakers and chairs.
- 75 posters and 9 Clinical Grand Round (CGR) presentations. All ASCIA 2011 poster and CGR abstracts have been published in the online Internal Medicine Journal (IMJ) and these can be accessed via the ASCIA webpage ASCIA Annual Scientific Meeting Abstracts
Congratulations to the poster and CGR award winners, who are listed on ASCIA Awards and Grants. Thank you to all the sponsors of these awards and travel scholarships for advanced trainees.
For the first time in Australasia, a postgraduate immunology course was held as part of the meeting, expertly run by Prof Abul Abbas, who is the current (2011-2012) President of the Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies (FOCIS). This course was very popular, with 82 delegates participating on the Saturday, after attending the 3 day ASCIA 2011 Annual Scientific Meeting.
ASCIA 2011 included social functions on each evening from Tuesday to Friday. Highlights from these events included:
- The outstanding performance at the ASCIA 2011 Welcome Function by The Ultrasounds, the choir of the School of Medicine at the University of Western Sydney.
- The presentation Medicine and the Media by Dr John D'Arcy at the ASCIA 2011 Gala Dinner, held at the spectacular National Maritime Museum.
- ASCIA 2011 photographs, expertly taken by Dr John Tan.
Content updated March 2021