ASCIA Progress Report - NAC Schools and CEC Project - July 2023
ASCIA Progress Report - National Allergy Council (NAC) Schools and Children’s Education/Care (CEC) Project
ASCIA’s involvement in the NAC Schools and CEC project includes education and training of staff in schools and CEC services, to improve knowledge about management of allergies and anaphylaxis.
Gap analysis to determine current allergy education being provided
- Initial scoping research detailing the progress of the gap analysis has been completed.
- The full gap analysis is expected to be completed by 31 December 2023.
- A survey for people studying and/or working within the education industry (schools and children’s education/care services) to determine how anaphylaxis training is being provided in undergraduate courses was completed during June 2023 and was available at www.allergy.org.au/schools-childcare which was promoted via newsletters, direct email and social media. Analysis of the survey data is expected to be completed by 31 December 2023.
- Mandatory evaluation surveys were added to these courses in January 2023 and survey data from January to July 2023 will be analysed. Based on this data, ASCIA will develop a plan by November 2023 to consult with users, which is likely to include conducting focus groups.
- Data from voluntary post-training evaluation surveys for ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for Schools and Children's Education/Care (CEC) from December 2021 to December 2022 has been evaluated and results will inform course reviews and updates. Reports are available here:
Schools 2022 Report629.44 KB
CEC 2022 Report583.28 KB
The results of these surveys will be summarised in reports to:
- Highlight factors influencing the decision to incorporate anaphylaxis training in undergraduate degrees.
- Provide insights into the benefits of including anaphylaxis training for future educators.
- Outline potential improvements in ASCIA e-training courses based on feedback.
- Provide feedback to assist in developing consistent minimum standards/competencies for anaphylaxis training across institutions.
Updating ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for schools and CEC
Major updates have been made to these courses in June and July 2023 to include the 2023 versions of ASCIA Action Plan for Anaphylaxis (red), ASCIA Action Plan for Allergic Reactions (green), ASCIA Action Plan for Drug (Medication) Allergy (dark green) and ASCIA First Aid Plan for Anaphylaxis (orange). Details of the updates are on the ASCIA website: https://www.allergy.org.au/about-ascia/info-updates/new-2023-versions-of-ascia-action-plans-for-anaphylaxis
ASCIA has developed new 2023 versions of ASCIA Action Plans for Anaphylaxis and ASCIA First Aid Plans for Anaphylaxis, to improve ease of use, which are available from June 2023 onwards. This is the first major formatting change in 20 years, since ASCIA Action Plans for Anaphylaxis were first introduced in 2003. The plans can be accessed on the ASCIA website:
Increase the uptake of ASCIA anaphylaxis refresher training by schools and CEC
- ASCIA anaphylaxis refresher e-training courses for schools, CEC and community have been promoted in monthly ASCIA Community newsletters from July 2022 to June 2023. These newsletters are sent to more than 5,000 recipients each month.
- A promotion plan for ASCIA social media has been developed, to be implemented from July 2023 onwards
- From 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022 there were 6,028 enrolments for ASCIA Anaphylaxis Refresher e-training of which 681 had not yet completed the course.
- From 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023 there were 5,277 enrolments for ASCIA Anaphylaxis Refresher e-training of which 653 had not yet completed the course.
Maintain ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for schools and CEC services
- In addition to the June/July updates, courses have been updated in January 2023 and September 2022 to include addition of mandatory evaluation surveys and product changes (Anapen and EpiPen).
- Once evaluation reports are completed further course improvements will be made.
Provide support for users of the ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for schools and CEC
- ASCIA provides ongoing email and online support for ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for schools and CEC services.
- ASCIA responds to approximately 300 inquiries regarding the courses per month.
This news item was issued on 19 July 2023 by Jill Smith, CEO of ASCIA, the peak professional body for clinical immunology and allergy in Australia and New Zealand.