ASCIA Allergic Rhinitis treatment plan now includes thunderstorm asthma information
August 29, 2017:
The ASCIA Treatment Plan for Allergic Rhinitis has been significantly updated.
The main changes (versus the 2015 version) are the inclusion of:
- Information about thunderstorm asthma
- A note about the importance of using INCS sprays correctly
- The TGA change in recommended decongestant use from “up to 5 days” to “up to 3 days”.
- Weblinks for additional information
This updated plan is available open access and free of charge from the ASCIA website:
The updated plan is part of a significant increase in ASCIA website information on thunderstorm asthma since the epidemic during late November 2016 in Victoria.
ASCIA resources containing information about thunderstorm asthma now include:
- Updated ASCIA Treatment Plan for Allergic Rhinitis www.allergy.org.au/patients/allergic-rhinitis-hay-fever-and-sinusitis/allergic-rhinitis-treatment-plan
- Updated ASCIA information for patients, consumers and carers www.allergy.org.au/patients/asthma-and-allergy/thunderstorm-asthma
- Updated ASCIA allergic rhinitis e-training for health professionals https://allergicrhinitis.ascia.org.au/
- New ASCIA allergic rhinitis e-training for pharmacists https://etrainingpharm.ascia.org.au/
ASCIA will continue to update and develop new resources (as required) that include information about thunderstorm asthma.