ASCIA Annual Scientific Meetings
ASCIA 2012, the 23rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA) was held at the magnificent Wellington Town Hall from 5th to 8th September 2012.
Congratulations and thank you to the organising committee of ASCIA 2012; Dr Shannon Brothers, Dr Marianne Empson and Pauline Brown, led by the ASCIA 2012 Chair, Dr Miriam Hurst. Thank you also to the staff at ICMSA (Rebecca and Helane), ASCIA staff (Michelle and Sandra), all speakers and chairs, delegates, sponsors and exhibitors for their support of ASCIA 2012.
In particular we would like to thank our keynote international speakers, Professor Andrew Cant, Professor Ulrich Wahn, Dr Jorg Kleine-Tebbe and Professor Carlos Camargo for their informative and entertaining presentations throughout ASCIA 2012.
Feedback has been extremely positive, especially regarding the following highlights or innovations that were introduced at ASCIA 2012:
- A larger than usual proportion of speakers and chairs were from Australia or New Zealand (55 out of a total of 60) and certificates of appreciation were given to all of these participants, in recognition of their valued contributions to ASCIA 2012.
- There were more opportunities for other delegates to present, with 31 poster presentations and 13 clinical grand rounds (CGR) presentations.
- A record total of $15,000 worth of awards and scholarships ($500 each) were provided to 30 recipients, comprising 2 CGR awards, 13 poster awards and 15 advanced trainee travel scholarships. Congratulations to the CGR and poster award winners, who are listed on the ASCIA website: www.allergy.org.au/health-professionals/awards-grants/ascia-award-grant-scholarship-recipients
- There were more “Plenary” style sessions at ASCIA 2012, with 2 rather than 3 speakers, presenting for 40-45 minutes each.
- A PID Workshop (including 4 case studies) was held as an interactive breakfast session.
- An Update on ASCIA Education Resources was included for the first time.
- All ASCIA 2012 poster and CGR abstracts were published in the online Internal Medicine Journal (IMJ) a week before the meeting and not in the Program Book. These abstracts can be accessed via the ASCIA website:www.allergy.org.au/health-professionals/meetings/ascia-annual-scientific-meetings/published-abstracts-ascia
- The Immunopathology Update and Allergy/Immunology Update meetings were held concurrently on Saturday, with most of the exhibition remaining from Wednesday to Saturday.
ASCIA 2012 included very popular social functions on each evening from Wednesday to Friday and a traditional "Powhiri" welcome. The ASCIA 2012 Gala Dinner was held at the spectacular Te Papa Museum, a highlight of Wellington.
ASCIA members will soon be able to view the ASCIA 2012 photographs on the ASCIA website members section (login is required).
We look forward to seeing you at ASCIA 2013 in Perth next September!
ASCIA 2012 Secretariat (in conjunction with ICMSA)
The 22nd Annual Scientific Meeting of the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA) was held at the Parkside section of the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre, Darling Harbour, from 6th to 10th September 2011.
Congratulations and thank you to the ASCIA 2011 Chair, Professor Connie Katelaris and members of the ASCIA 2011 organising committee, Professor Brad Frankum, Dr Preeti Joshi, Dr Karuna Keat, Dr Frederick Lee, Dr Brynn Wainstein and Pamela Burton.
Thank you also to all speakers and chairs, delegates, sponsors and exhibitors for their support of ASCIA 2011.
In particular we would like to thank our international speakers, Professor Abul Abbas (USA), Dr Domingo Barber (Spain), Professor Pascal Demoly (France), Dr George Du Toit (UK), Professor Gunnar Johansson (Sweden), Dr Montserrat Fernandez-Rivas (Spain), Dr Steven Holland (USA), Dr Marc Riedl (USA) and Professor Yehuda Shoenfeld (Israel).
The ASCIA 2011 scientific program included a record number of:
- 9 international speakers as well as more than 40 Australasian speakers and chairs.
- 75 posters and 9 Clinical Grand Round (CGR) presentations. All ASCIA 2011 poster and CGR abstracts have been published in the online Internal Medicine Journal (IMJ) and these can be accessed via the ASCIA webpage ASCIA Annual Scientific Meeting Abstracts
Congratulations to the poster and CGR award winners, who are listed on ASCIA Awards and Grants. Thank you to all the sponsors of these awards and travel scholarships for advanced trainees.
For the first time in Australasia, a postgraduate immunology course was held as part of the meeting, expertly run by Professor Abul Abbas, who is the current (2011-2012) President of the Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies (FOCIS). This course was very popular, with 82 delegates participating on the Saturday, after attending the 3 day ASCIA Annual Scientific Meeting.
ASCIA 2011 included social functions on each evening from Tuesday to Friday. Highlights from these events included:
- The outstanding performance at the ASCIA 2011 Welcome Function by The Ultrasounds, the choir of the School of Medicine at the University of Western Sydney.
- The presentation Medicine and the Media by Dr John D'Arcy at the ASCIA 2011 Gala Dinner, held at the spectacular National Maritime Museum.
ASCIA members can view the ASCIA 2011 photographs, expertly taken by Dr John Tan (login is required).
ASCIA 2011 Secretariat (inconjunction with ICMSA)
Content updated 3 May 2013